Well this blanket chest has been an exercise in taking my time with the materials. The parts in the chest are made from 2 board glue-ups. Most of the parts are 16-20" wide and were prepared using a mix of hand and power tools. The stock came in as 4/4 rough, hand planed on one side and run through a planer. Once planed to thickness, I used a handplane to edge joint the boards with a slight spring for a tight seam. Even with all these precautions, I still had many parts with a good amount of cupping. I guess I cut it too thin, trying to dress 4/4 boards rough out to 3/4. Next time I would chose 5/4, it is just too close a call if the stock is not mostly flat. With that said, you make do and if that means having to rip stock apart and re-glue it than so be it.
In large casework I like to start with the sides, because they handle much of the joinery and give you a good reference for all the other pieces. These side members have a stopped cut on one end and an arched cut out on the bottom for the piece. The stopped cut provides a place for front of the chest to fit, mating with the rabbet of the front.
Using the tablesaw, I laid a piece of tape to show where the blade exited so that I knew where to stop.
With this kind of cut, there is a fair amount of clean up to do, but its actually quite enjoyable and easily done.
With the stopped cut done, I ran the dado for the bottom in each side, and moved on to the half-circle for the feet. Now I have a steady hand and could have cut the pattern out by hand using a jig saw, but opted for a more repeatable method. I cut a piece of ply to the same width as the side panel, laid out the circle and cut it once by hand with the jigsaw as precisely as I could. Using this pattern I rough cut the panels and finished the cut using a flush trim bit in the router table.
more to come...